Getting excited for Bike to Work Week coming up May 28 to June 3, 2018. Plans are shaping up and we’re stoked to get the whole town out riding. Stay tuned via our Facebook page to make sure you’re in the loop!
Bike to School & Work Week is a free, fun, week-long provincial celebration of cycling to encourage people of all ages to use their bicycle as an active mode of transportation. Improve your health and air quality by cycling to school, work, and where ever you need to go!
Active transportation not only improves children’s health and well being, it also improves air quality and reduces impacts of climate change. Research also shows that physical activity improves attention span and academic achievement. Driving our kids to and from school may be robbing them of an important source of daily physical activity.
Whether cycling or walking to school, a child will develop physical, decision-making and social skills that will benefit them throughout their life.
Some of the benefits of cycling and walking include:
- Fewer vehicles in the school zone: Reduced traffic at the school site results in less congestion and safer access to the school for students who are cycling and walking.
- Reduced emissions and improved air quality: Fewer cars being used for neighbourhood and local journeys means reduced emissions in your community.
- Cycling and Pedestrian safety education: cycling and /or walking and with adults or older students not only ensures a safe trip to school, it’s also a great chance for children to model and learn safe riding and walking skills.
- Healthier children and communities: research shows physical activity improves health, academics, and attention. Active children are more likely to be active adults, and with child obesity on the rise, encouraging children to exercise as part of a day to day journey provides motivation to lead a healthy lifestyle. Children will also experience the health benefits which result from improved air quality and safer streets.
- Trips to and from school that are fun! Children love wheeling and walking with their friends. It gives them a chance to visit and chat, and to observe nature and community interactions along the way. It gives them a chance to release some energy before class and wind down afterwards.
- Lower fuel costs: Local and neighbourhood trips previously taken by vehicle are replaced by cycling and walking.
- Stronger communities: More children cycling and walking through the neighbourhood brings a greater sense of community and awareness about health and safety.
‘Bikes for All’ Program: Need a bike? Have a bike to donate? Contact email@example.com / 250-398-7929
Cycling to work is a great way to add activity to your day, saving time by combining a work out with your travel needs. We want to help you arrive at work energized and full of endorphins year round.
There’s no excuse – if you have any bike commuting concerns check this out!
Then, once you’ve started why not carry on and try the Commuter Challenge!